A Love Letter: To Books



Dear Literature,

Thank you for making me cry. Thank you for making me feel things so deeply that it sometimes hurts. Thank you for making me so deliciously happy because you exist, and you exist in both dazzling glory and in quiet, comforting beauty. Thank you for making me so painfully sad because real life seems so dull and dreary and lifeless compared to you. Thank you for being a confusing, muddled mixture of the two.
Thank you for making my heart squeeze a little squeeze every now and then. Thank you for making my chest ache and my eyes screw shut in an attempt to remember the images you've conjured up in my head. Thank you for connecting to such deep desires and dreams and feelings within in me in ways that make it feel like my favorite books were written for me. Thank you for introducing me to my soul mate, my dearest friends, my mentor, my hero, thank you for even my villains and my fears. I've found them all pressed and preserved between your pages.
Thank you for consuming my tired soul and bringing me to places where I can feel renewed, even for ten minutes at a time. Thank you for your never-ending comfort and companionship, for finding and knowing and nursing my little hurts.
Thank you for growing with me. I thank you that I am always reminded of my favorite books when I need them most. I thank you that they never grow tedious, but instead remain timeless and ever-changing, so that I might come back to them and always learn and grow somewhere between the start and end.
Thank you for shaping me just as much as my closest friends and family have. Thank you for teaching me how to strive for virtue, how to love, how to create, how to pray, and who to always seek answers from.
Thank you for bandaging the empty spaces in my heart and consoling me in times of need. Thank you for both your changing and unchanging ways. Thank you for your continuous presence in my life, and for all the lessons and adventures we have yet to share.

My love and my gratitude,

Faeli H.

Photo credit: noahheisephotos.blogspot.com

Comments